Thanos, also known as the Dark Lord by his most loyal underlings and the Mad Titan by the galactic communities, is a tremondously powerful, cosmic Titan warlord who rules over a distant region of space and also commands a massive army known as the Chitauri. His own main objective is to obtain the Infinity Stones to balance the universe by wiping out half of all life as he believed thar the universe's vast population would condemn it, and his desire to achieve this goal is what led him to forging deals with the villains Loki and Ronan the Accuser in their respective campaigns against Earth and Xandar. Both of these new alliances cost Thanos much of his resources, including one of the stones and the loyalty of his two daughters, Gamora and Nebula, and also inadvertently resulted in the formation of the two superhero groups the Avengers and the Guardians of the Galaxy. Eventually, he lost his patience with his servants and opted to seek out the Stones personally, forcing the Dwarves to create the Infinity Gauntlet so he can channel the power of all six Stones silmutaneously.
Thanos launched a ferocious warpath across the Galaxy to acquire the Infinity Stones and complete the Infinity Gauntlet, killing many, such as half of the survivors of Asgard's destruction, Heimdall, Loki, and even, albeit remorsefully, his beloved Gamora. Although he faced Wakanda, Masters of the Mystic Arts, Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy, Thanos defeated the heroes who fought him on Titan and then headed to Wakanda and effortlessly overpowered all the heroes who opposed him before completing the Gauntlet after reversing the destruction of the Mind Stone and Vision and ripping it out of the android's head. Even after Thor nearly killed him, Thanos succesfully achieved his goal and triumphed over his enemies upon snapping his fingers, wiping out half of the universe.
Fall of TitanEdit
Thanos was born to Alars and an unknown woman as a member of the Titans, an anomyious and extremely powerful species that lived on a planet they named after themselves. Although he was shunned for being deformed and his genius, Thanos unconditionally and deeply loved his people. When Titan became threatened by over-population, Thanos desperately did everything he could to save his home and proposed they kill off half of the Titans but it was considered far too extreme and rejected. Ultimately, the catastrophe hit Titan and the race was left nearly extinct with only him as the sole survivor and the planet was devastated. Saddened that his plan was not done, Thanos became determined to not let other planets suffer the same fate and became possibly the most powerful and feared warlord in the galaxy, ruling over a distinct region of space and gaining control of the deadly Chitauri and Outriders armies, massacaring half of all species so the other half may survive.
Training his DaughtersEdit
- "Flesh is weak. Weakness must be cast aside for the sake of power."
Thanos collected orphans from the species he massacred to adopt and be trained as loyal liutenants, forming the Black Order, composed of his most loyal liutenants. When he massacred the Zehoberei race, Thanos saw a young Zehoberei named Gamora fighting back against her captor and intrested, asked on her name and decided to adopt her, taking her away from the view and teaching her on his methodology of balance via a switch-blade as his army carried out the massacre. Unlike his other children, Thanos grew to deeply care for Gamora, considering her the finest of his children and favoring her above all others. However, while Gamora once was loyal to him, she grew to openly hate him and everything connected to him, which Thanos was aware of but still believed she cared for him and can become loyal again and inherit his throne. He also massacred the Luphomoids to adopt Nebula. Thanos was very cruel to Nebula and usually when Nebula lost in a duel against Gamora, Thanos removed a body part from her.
Quest for the Infinity StonesEdit
Thanos eventually realised that he cannot massacre all life in the universe with only his army as there are too many and he eventually learned that the Infinity Stones, objects of immense power that held considerable dominance over the various forces that occupied the universe, can change this and forged several alliances in order to locate them. He successfully located at least one of the stones; the Mind Stone, hiding it inside a Scepter that was capable of manipulating minds.
Through many years of searching, Thanos discovered a lead on the Orb's location, sending Nebula and Gamora to the Cloud Tombs of Praxius under the command of his ally, the Kree soldier Korath the Pursuer. Nebula fell victim to a trap during the mission, and Thanos, not one to tolerate failure, forbade Gamora from rescuing her. Nebula was forced to amputate her own arm in order to escape. The Orb was never recovered, but Thanos let the failure pass and resumed his search.
Thanos once send Gamora to retrieve the Soul Stone but she lied to him that she didin't found it but being as perceptive as he is, Thanos was easily able to see through the deception and knowing that Gamora's closeness to Nebula would make her tell him the truth, used the memory implants on Nebula to reveal she did find it, but kept this to himself until he decided to hunt for the Stones personally.
Thanos discovered that the Tesseract was on Earth and allied himself with Loki in order to retrieve it, providing him the Scepter and his Chitauri army, who would help him conquer the planet in exchange for the Tesseract. Through his intermediary, The Other, Thanos threatened the Asgardian god of mischief, saying that if he failed in delivering the Tesseract, Thanos would force him to endure a new kind of suffering.
Despite his vast army of the Chituari and powerful weapons, Loki was quickly defeated and scepter-laden Infinity Stone ended up in HYDRA's hands while the Tesseract transported to Asgard by Thor, along with the now captured Loki. The Other reported to his master, who has his back turned, that the Earth's inhabitants were not as weak as they were thought to be. He also declared that challenging the Earth's heroes would be to court Death. To this, Thanos rose to his feet, turned around and simply smiled at the prospect.
Some time later, Thanos brokered a deal with his old ally, Ronan the Accuser of the Kree Empire, promising to lend a fraction of his forces in a genocide against the Xandarians in exchange for locating the Orb for the Mad Titan. Ronan and Korath the Pursuer quickly discovered the true location of the Orb on Morag and attempted to deliver it to Thanos, but an unexpected turn of events meant the stone fell into the possession of Ravager member, Star-Lord.
Unwilling to be denied the stone, Thanos ordered Ronan to pursue Quill and recover the stone, sending Gamora to aid the Kree in his pursuit. Gamora found Quill first, cornering him on Xandar where he was attempting to sell the Orb. She recovered it, but what Thanos did not realize is that Gamora had chosen to cut all ties with him and now planned on handing the Orb over to another party, suspected to be the infamous Collector, who also sought the stones.
When Ronan relayed news of Gamora's betrayal to Thanos which he had learned had been planned for some time, the Kree berated the Mad Titan for not taking the situation seriously and even murdered The Other when he lectured Ronan on not showing Thanos respect. Undaunted by The Other's death and Ronan's complaints, Thanos faced Ronan directly and clearly intimidating the Kree, showed his anger for him failing and aliniating his favored daughter Gamora and furiously told him that if he failed again, he would bathe the starways in Thanos's blood. He instructed Nebula to take Gamora's place as Ronan's aide.
Betrayed by Ronan the AccuserEdit
As Ronan the Accuser and Nebula both eventually stole the Orb from Gamora, Star-Lord, and their allies, but when Thanos was contacted by Ronan to be updated on their progress, he was furious to discover that the Kree, having experienced the true power of the Orb, intended on keeping the Infinity Stone for himself, despite Korath the Pursuer expressing his fear of Thanos being the most powerful being in the universe.
Nebula joined with Ronan, contemptuous towards Thanos after the horror he forced her to endure throughout her youth. Now believing himself superior to Thanos, Ronan promised to come after the Dark Lord when Xandar was destroyed. Unphased, Thanos cut contact with them without a word. Ronan would eventually perish at the hands of the Guardians of the Galaxy, who gave the Orb to the Nova Corps, making another Infinity Stone lost to Thanos.
Coming Out to the OpenEdit
- "Fine. I'll do it myself."
With both Loki and Ronan the Accuser having failed Thanos in their tasks of conquering worlds and bringing him the Infinity Stones, and both of his daughters lost to him, Thanos had finally grown tired with the lack of progress in his crusade and decided to take matters into his own hands. Thanos created the Infinity Gauntlet by forcing the Dwarves to do so and began to hunt for the Infinity Stones himself, believing himself to be capable of completing the task, smiling confidently to himself at the prospect of victory.
Massacare of the XandariansEdit
Thanos began by attacking Xandar and defeated and destroyed the Nova Corps and Nova Empire and succesfully retrieved the Power Stone before massacaring half of Xandar's population as part of his goal to balance the universe.
Attack on StatesmanEdit
A week after he decimated Xandar, Thanos attacked the Statesman and massacred half of the Asgardians while letting the other half live and escape as always in his massacares and personally confronted and easily overpowered and severely beat Thor. He then leveraged Thor's life for the Space Stone that Loki saved from Ragnarok, ruthlessly torturing him until Loki agreed. However, he is attacked and briefly pummeled by Hulk after Loki summoned the Tesseract and distracted him long enough, although he left the Tesseract behind and only saved Thor. Despite this, Thanos quickly recomposed himself and soundly pummeled him to a pulp but is ambushed and punched by Thor, which Thanos returned by kicking him away and he is about to kill Hulk when Heimdall used his last shred of Dark Magic to send Hulk to Earth. Unpertubed, Thanos killed Heimdall calmly with Glaive's scythe and then removed his armor and took the Tesseract to his hand and then crushed it. After ordering his children to find the Stones on Earth, Thanos is confronted by Loki, who seemed to want to rejoin him by appealing to the fact that he is moee experienced on Earth than the Black Order. Thanos is not fooled, however, correctly deducing Loki wants to assassinate him, and simply mocked on the experience being acquired by Loki's failure on his invasion and unconvinced by Loki's pretending to worship him, casually parried Loki's knive stab and then mocked him sarcastically for choosing the word undying and not saying wiser words before choking him while looking mockingly at Thor. Unfazed by Loki's defiant threats that he will never achieve true godhood, Thanos calmly crushed his neck and dropped it to Thor's knees and mocked him that Loki is truly dead before detonating the ship and warping himself and his children out.
Ambushing the Guardians on KnowhereEdit
Thanos arrived on Knowhere to take the Reality Stone from Tivan long before the Guardians and after most likely killing him, turned the Aether back to the Reality Stone and inserted it into the Gauntlet. He accurately predicted that the Guardians would come and used the newly acquired Reality Stone to alter the reality of Knowhere as an illusion to surprise and ambush the Guardians. Thanos revealed the deception after Gamora killed his illusionary self, saying that he know she still cared for him deep down and boasted that with the Reality Stone, Reality itself can be whatever he wants. Thanos offered Gamora a peaceful return to his side, implying that he would spare the Guardians if she willingly joined him. Off course, Gamora refused and is easily restrained by Thanos before she could grab Godslayer. Drax furiously attempted to help but Thanos calmly gave him a mocking smirk and used the Reality Stone to turn Drax into pieces and did the same to Mantis. Thanos was then confronted by Star-Lord, who he mocked for being unable to kill Gamora. Thanos then calmly turned the Blasters into bubbles and warped away.
Thanos is considered by many to be the ultimate personification of power hunger, sadism, cruelty, megalomania, infinite destruction, death, power and madness, with his search for the Infinity Stones being widely considered to control all of existence. He desired to use the Tesseract to look beyond the known worlds to find greater ones that it would unveil. He is also completely relentless by finding children that he can raise to be assassins and forcing them to watch as he murders their families and tirelessly searching for the Infinity Stones.
Thanos is exceptionally intimidating due to his well-known unforgiving nature, with Ronan the Accuser showing visible signs of fear in his presence and Loki doing so at the mere mention of him, as well as being able to command the Chitauri army unchallenged. He punishes failure severely, as The Other warned Loki that he would know a new kind of pain if he did not give them the Tesseract, although while Thanos ruthlessly killed him, he did not torture him first before killing him, likely deeming him to not be worth it. Thanos furiously threatened to bathe the starways in Ronan's blood if he failed to deliver the Orb and forbade Gamora from rescuing Nebula when the latter fell into a trap whilst on a mission in the Cloud Tombs of Praxius. He has no regard for his followers, even his adopted children, showing absolutely no empathy when Ronan killed The Other and referring to Gamora as his "favorite daughter", even with Nebula present. He was unfazed by Maw and the Black Order's deaths.
He inspires no love to any weaker ones of his children, as he cruelly removes Parts of Nebula and replaced them with cybernatics, causing her to Deeply resent Thanos. This cruelty towards Nebula turned Gamora against him. He proves his complete lack of care for Nebula when he coldly brutally tortured her and held such a low regard pf her that he called killing her to be a waste of parts.
However, Thanos is not completely without love, as he grew to genuinely care for and Deeply love Gamora AS his daughter. He was known for favoring her above all of his children. Thanos was Deeply remorseful and saddened when he had to kill her.
He is also manipulative and mistrustful, sending Ronan to retrieve the Orb for him and not telling him that it contained an Infinity Stone. He keeps a low profile, lurking in the shadows and making others do his work for him. However, after both of his alliances backfired, he decided to hunt for the Infinity Stones himself.
He is also highly confident, to the point of borderline arrogance, as he was shown to be smiling when The Other told him challenging the Avengers is like courting Death. He also smiled confidently after deciding to hunt for the Infinity Stones himself.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Thanos is terrifyingly powerful, as he is able to effortlessly intimidate and overpower beings as formidable as Hulk, Thor, Loki and Ronan the Accuser, and command the Chitauri and Outrider armies unchallenged. When Ronan the Accuser was about to betray Thanos and use the Orb for himself, his servant, Korath fearfully stated that Thanos is the most powerful being in the universe. Ronan, however, ignored Korath's advice and was confident that he could kill Thanos with the power of the Orb. Nevertheless, Thanos displayed no signs of concern after Ronan threatened him. When Nebula told Gamora of her plans to kill Thanos, she plainly told her that she doesn't know if that's possible. The immensity of Thanos's power was shown by the fact that he is capable of handling the power of the Infinity Stones with ease, even proving able to survive wielding all six Stones without harm.
- Immortality: Thanos is immortal, having been a galatic warlord for centuries. He is also unkillable to most means, as Nebula told Gamora that killing Thanos may not be possible.
- Superhuman Strength: Thanos has such extradionarily vast levels of godly supernatural strength that he is the only one to have ever survived wielding the power of all six Infinity Stones with the aid of an Infinity Gauntlet, doing so with ease, making him certainly among the strongest, if not, the strongest being in the universe. He is strong enough to effortlessly break out of Hulk's grip and then swiftly pummel him to a bloody pulp and knock him out with only a few blows, crippling the immensely strong and nearly invulnerable green monster to the point Hulk later refused to come out against Thanos's forces, easily defeat and severely injure a fully powered Thor, even threatening that he can crush Thor's head anytime he wants, effortlessly lift and choke Vision off the ground with a single hand and then effortlessly rip out the Mind Stone from his extremely durable Vibranium forehead within seconds, easily and swiftly pummel Iron Man in his Mark L Armor, pressuring him with the force of his blows as well as crushing pieces of the nanotech Armor with ease, effortlessly stop Black Panther's full-charge with a single hand and choke-hold and incatipate him soon after with a single punch, break out of Groot's vines instantly, almost overwhelm Captain America with a single hand while massively holding back and then effortlessly knock him out with a single punch, quickly overtake and send Drax and Nebula flying with a single punch, eventually break out of the combined efforts of Drax, Doctor Strange, Star-Lord's stunning device and Spider-Man, crush the Tesseract and Eye of Agamotto despite their durability being great enough to contain an Infinity Stone with one hand fairly quickly, casually clench the Gauntlet while restrained by thousands or Eldritch Whips to break free, casually restrain Gamora while breaking Godslayer with one hand and even as Gamora struggled fericiously while Thanos was in distress for what he was about to do, Thanos still dragged and threw her of Vormir's cliff with ease.
- Superhuman Durabillity: Thanos has such immesurably vast levels of superhuman durabillity that he is capable of effortlessly wielding the Infinity Stones without harm or strain, even managing to wield all six easily without suffering any harm. He can effortlessly shrug off blows from Spider-Man, Thor, Captain America using Wakanda Shields as blunt weapons, and Hulk, catch blows from Drax's knive and Doctor Strange's Eldritch Magic sword with his bare hands without being fazed, withstand with only minor injury an all-out slash from Drax to the leg and Star-Lord's shots while barely flinching, quickly recover from being shocked by the stunning devices of Star-Lord, withstand full-power blows from Iron Man Mark L Armor with only a slight cut to the face, even mocking him for only doing such a minor damage after all his efforts, remain unharmed by being hit with a large ship and exposed to an explosion and completely unfazed by Winter-Soldier's shots. Although Stormbreaker, the most powerful weapon in Asgard, was the only thing able to inflict any noticable harm and injury to him when wielded by Thor, even a violent, lightning enhanced blow was insufficient even with the axe being burrowed deeper into his chest to kill him and he still had the durabillity to survive using the Infinity Gauntlet at a scale needed to wipe out half of the universe with a snap of his fingers.
After inserting the Infinity Gauntlet into his left arm, with his extradionary raw power and physical constitution permitting, Thanos acquires the potential to safely collectively harness the power of all six Infinity Stones by inserting them into the Gauntlet, gaining their dominion over the fabrics of reality and more power. After completing the Gauntlet, Thanos's power became so nearly infinite that he can wipe out half of the universe with a snap of his fingers even while severely injured. He also displays that due to his extensive research of the Stones, he has a vast amount of advanced mastery and knowledge and understanding of their powers, allowing him to instantly master and use them combatively to great effect, making it nearly impossible to defeat him.
- Regenerative Healing Factor: After completing the Infinity Gauntlet, it's power can quickly heal his wounds regardless of severity or blood-loss. The Gauntlet's healing factor is so powerful that not only did Thanos completely recover from all the wounds he sustained from fighting the heroes, but even the severe wound that Thor wielding the devastatingly powerful Stormbreaker dealt also completely vanished without any trace of it ever being there.
- Combining The Stones: Thanos can use the power of several Stones silmutaneously to enhance and expand their effects.
- Terrain Manipulation: Thanos can combine the Reality and Space Stones to manipulate the terrain at such a vast scale as to pull the surface of Titan itself to force Doctor Strange to his hand.
- Energy Blocking and Redirecting: Combining the Power and Reality Stones, Thanos can block any source of energy from being used and then redirect the energy intended to be unleashed to other surfaces, as shown when he prevented Black Panther from using his energy pulse by blocking the nanites of the Habit from being used and then redirected it to the ground to make the fall harder.
- Death Inducement: Quite possibly the Gauntlet's deadliest power, after completing it and causing the Infinity Stones to reach their highest level of power, Thanos can induce death at a universal scale with a snap of his fingers by combining the Reality, Time and Soul Stones, causing the victims to quickly age and die, their bodies turning to dust and their souls erased from existence, even wiping out half of the universe with a snap of his fingers after being wounded by Thor, although doing so in such a weakened state caused him to briefly enter a catatonic state and scorched the Gauntlet and his arm.
- Energy Manipulation: After acquiring the Power Stone, Thanos gains complete control over the destructive force of the universe. He primarily projects the violently explosive and destructively lethal purple fire-like energy the Stone is composed of in the form of many energy attacks of extradionary power, applying incredible amounts of concussive force that are even potentially capable of outright destroying objects with its volatile power or incatipating and greatly damaging even the most durable of individuals, with his raw power and verstaility with the Stone's energy projections being far greater than Ronan's use, such as destructively powerful blasts capable of effortlessly cleaving through structures, forcing back a shielded Iron Man and heavily damaging the Avenger's armor with a single point-blank blast, and can wildly unleash it as shockwaves easily powerful enough to knock out the highly resillient Nebula, Drax, and Star-Lord instantly, or focus them into repulsive waves easily enough to blast away the heroes during the Battle of Wakanda, even the superhumanly resillient Winter Soldier and Captain Ameroca, as well as repel the incredibly sharp sonic spear of Okoye and blast her away with ease. He can also use it defensively by emitting the Stone's energy through the Gauntlet and placing it on the path of attacks causing a purple force-field to appear and block the attack, which was easily potent enough to block Iron Man's repulsors even when the latter used both of his hands to emit 2 blasts at once. However, in addition to the energy projections, Thanos also shows that with his exceptional familiarity and mastery of the Power Stone's capabillities that he is able to manipulate the Stone's explosive energy for more diverse feats, such as empowering the Gauntlet with it, making it strong enough to destroy a dimensional gateway to the Mirror Dimension, and most commonly, manipulating and unleashing it's destructive energy to charge objects with unstable explosive energy with just a single gesture from the Gauntlet, causing them to overload and violently detonate. This abillity has great versatility and combat potential as Thanos can control the time and size of the detonation, whether instantly or slowly or how devastating, as he used the Stone to slowly overload and detonate the damaged Statesman after retrieving the Space Stone, giving himself time to teleport him and his Children out. During the Battle of Titan, Thanos used the Stone's energy and versatile destructive powers to devastating effect, violently and instantly detonating a ruined spaceship fragment that was dropped on him by Iron Man, and was even powerful enough to rip apart the surface of Titan's moon with its sheer power. He also displays the abillity to apply the Stone's violent and powerful energy more subtly, such as using it as a very effective form of torture, with him being able to limit the amount of energy send into his target's body so as not to instantly kill them. During the Attack on the Statesman, Thanos utilised the Stone to effectively torture an injured Thor, pushing the Stone into his head and causing the nearly invulnerable Asgardian excruciating pain using its energy. Used together with the Space Stone, Thanos also brutally tortured Nebula with its power, by telekinetically pulling her mechanical components apart while silmutaneously exerting the Stone's energy to electrocute her, causing her severe pain but controlling the level of energy he sent at Nebula precisely enough to not kill her.
- Space Manipulation: After inserting the Space Stone into the Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos gains absolute control over space. From the Space Stone, Thanos acquires the common power to open portals to anywhere he desires in the universe, allowing him to effortlessly travel to anywhere he desires instantly without needing any other form of transportation. As such, he easily warped to Knowhere, Titan and finally Wakanda in an instant. Thanos's control over the portals are shown to be uncommonly extremely precise, as he can choose what objects and people gets warped along with him, as shown when he prevented anyone from following him and even can remove the impaled Stormbreaker from his chest upon teleporting, as well as decide the size of portals to allow him to warp multiple people silmutaneously or just big enough to warp himself and another person, as shown when he created a portal large enough to engulf him and his children to warp themselves out of the exploding Statesman and later warped both Gamora and himself. However, with his exceptional familiarity and mastery of the Space Stone's powers, Thanos displays that he can use it's control over space to achieve a wide plethora of potent and dangerous capabillities and are not limited to simply teleportation, allowing hik to use it liberally in battle to great effect. He skillfully ultilises the Space Stone as a form of very powerful telekinesis by warping the fabric of space around objects to conjure great amounts of crushing, freezing, and pulling forces to very effectively manipulate them with a single gesture, an abillity that was among his most often used. He was able to effortlessly freeze Loki's dagger when it almost stabbed him, crush the guns of War Machine's armor and collapse Falcon's Wings and was even so powerful that Thanos used the Stone to telekinetically pull pieces of Titan's shattered moon to rain down on his foes. He also can achieve far more variable and verstaile capabillities apart from Telekinesis in combat, such as generating powerful compression forces capable of creating devastating singularities, shown when he compressed the remains of a dimensional gateway to the Mirror Dimension to a small but sucking vortex to throw at Strange, conjuring force fields of blue energy powerful enough to instantly vaporize the bullets of War Machine easily and even repel the energy of Scarlet Witch, and even phasing and unphasing objects out of space to render them incorporeal and just as easily make them corporeal again, as shown when he made Hulkbuster fall harmlessly through him and then trapped him in solid-stone.
- Time Manipulation: After inserting the Time Stone into the Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos acquires complete control over time. He seems to activate the Time Stone by clenching and then moving the Gauntlet to the opposite direction before directing it's palm and causing the image of the Time Manipulation Magic to appear as he waves it around while directed at the target. His skill with the Time Stone's powers are far more refined than Doctor Strange, as he can rewind time to recreate certain events with such finesse as to truly recreate an object as powerful as an Infinity Stone and ressurect someone while keeping those he wished to remain from being affected, as he managed to succesfully recreate the Mind Stone and ressurect Vision while keeping the heroes from being affected to prevent them from trying to stop him. After completing the Gauntlet and enhancing the Time Stone to it's highest level of power, Thanos's power over time grew so much that he becomes able to affect even living beings to flash-forward and acclerate the lives of others to the point of causing death at a global scale, which remained at full potential regardless of Thanos's condition, as even after being severely wounded by Stormbreaker, Thanos still succesfully used the Time Stone alongside the other Stones to wipe out half of the universe, with him using the Time Stone to quickly age the victims and cause them to die.
- Reality Manipulation: After inserting the Reality Stone into the Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos acquires complete control over reality. With his exceptional understanding and mastery of it's powers, Thanos can warp reality to such a great extent as to achieve a variety of powerful effects, even greater than Malekith's use. With the Reality Stone, Thanos gains the abillity to alter reality to such extent as to create highly elaborate physical simulations and illusions of false realities over a wide range of influence. Prior to the Ambush on Knowhere, Thanos used the Stone to create a false illusion of himself interrogating the Collector in a completely deserted Knowhere, in order to fool the approaching Guardians of the Galaxy and mask the colony's true status as burning down and utterly ruined. Prior to the Battle of Titan, another illusion was shown by Thanos to Doctor Strange, showing the planet Titan in its peaceful prime, in a time before it became an uninhabited wasteland. The illusions are highly convincing to the point where they can be physically interacted with, with the daughter of Thanos, Gamora, able to engage in physical combat and even slay the false illusion of Thanos. Thanos was also able to render himself invisible using the Reality Stone, as upon unveiling the illusion, he initially talked to Gamora without Gamora being able to see him before revealing himself. He also acquires the power to warp and transmute any object and environment to anything he wants, using it very effectively to render weapons and oncoming attacks useless, such as when he silently transmuted his Quad Blasters to harmlessly fire bubbles, before transforming the weapon itself into bubbles, and would later do the same to Gamora's dagger on Vormir to prevent her committing suicide, transform and manipulate other parts of the environment to use against his enemies, as shown during the Battle of Titan and Battle of Wakanda, when he transmuted a field of ship wreckage into a swarm of bats to attack Iron Man and spawned a cage of stone pillars to trap Black Widow. He can even manipulate the bodies of others with the Reality Stone, as shown when he effortlessly incatipated Guardians Drax and Mantis by temporarily warping their physical bodies, splitting Drax's body into pieces and turning Mantis into still-conscious strips of flesh. After completing the Infinity Gauntlet and the Reality Stone reached the height of it's powers, this power became so much more potent that Thanos becomes able to actually permanently destroy the bodies of others by turning them to dust at whim on a universal scale, which does not seem to be weakened by his physical condition, as even with Stormbreaker grievously wounding him by being impaled deep to his chest, he still proved capable of using the Reality Stone at the scale needed to cause the bodies of the victims of his genocide to disintegrate to dust with just a single snap of his fingers. He also acquires the power to prevent the warping of dimensions, as he was able to prevent Doctor Strange's gateway to the Mirror Dimension to trap him inside the dimension before crushing it with the Power Stone.
- Soul Manipulation: After inserting the Soul Stone into the Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos acquires complete control over souls as well as dominion over the cycle of life and death. As rumored for being the most dangerous Infinity Stone, possessing it presumably grants Thanos the divine authority to decide who lives and who dies. With it, Thanos can detect the souls of others, as he used it to find out the real Doctor Strange from the dozen copies the sorcerer conjured, and can use it to make the Power Stone able to attack the very soul of others, as he was able to not only disperse the copies but also briefly push Doctor Strange's Astral Form out of his body. After completing the Gauntlet and the Soul Stone reached it's highest level of power, the Stone's control over souls grew to such an extent that Thanos gains the power to wipe out the souls of others from existence on a universal scale at whim, an abillity that remained at full potential regardless of Thanos's physical condition, as even with Thanos being badly wounded by Stormbreaker, he still proved able to use the Soul Stone at the scale needed to erase the souls of the victims of his genocide with a single snap of his fingers.
- Genius-Level Intellect: Even at his youth, Thanos was deemed a genius among his kind, despite his deformation. His long life allowed Thanos to refine his intellectual aptitude to the highest degree, making him quite possibly the most intelligent being in the universe. His intellect contributes to his ability to conquer many worlds. By simply using his manipulative and strategic skills, he indirectly causes the Battle of Xandar and Chitauri Invasion, both of which caused the formations of the Guardians of the Galaxy and the Avengers to fight their respective battles. All the while, Thanos remained effectively anonymous, enough that even the extremely intelligent Iron Man was unable to figure out Loki had been aided by Thanos in his invasion, and with the equally intelligent Doctor Strange initially not having Thanos on his list of otherworldly threats. It was only after Thor received a vision on the Infinity Stones that he was able to figure out Thanos' involvement, with Thor admitting that Thanos had been using his intellect to play a very intricate game and has effectively used the Avengers as pawns without them even realizing it until Thor saw the vision. Thanos was even clever enough to easily outsmart the incredibly smart Loki himself on more than one occasion - he not only successfully used Loki as a pawn without the latter realizing it for a long time, but he was later also able to successfully finish off the God of Mischief by easily predicting that he would attempt an assassination and countering it casually. Thanos also easily deceived the Guardians of the Galaxy into letting their guard down, thus allowing Thanos to incapacitate them and capture Gamora.
- Master Manipulator: Thanos is an exceptionally skillful and cunning manipulator, far surpassing even Loki, the God of Mischief himself who was famous for his manipulation abilities. Without leaving his throne, Thanos ultimately caused both the Chitauri Invasion and the Battle of Xandar by easily and effectively manipulating other powerful and intelligent beings such as Loki and Ronan. Thor himself noted that Thanos has effectively manipulated the Avengers for his own goals.
- Master Tactician: Thanos is a pheneomonally accomplished master strategist with centuries of experience in tactical warfare, quite possibly the greatest in the universe. Thanos's tactical genius and ingenuity allows him to create extremely complex and well-coordinated plans and execute them effectively, with the strategies he created and employed being so effective that he gave the Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy immense trouble all the while remaining anonymous to the point that he even easily fooled geniuses of Tony Stark and Doctor Strange's calibare into believing that he is not a threat. Thanos is even a far more superior tactician than Loki, who was famous for being a crafty genius in orchestrating chunning schemes, as he easily deceived the God of Mischief into becoming his minion and later easily predicted and outsmarted Loki's attempt to assassinate him. Thanos's strategical intuition also allows him to accurately predict incoming events and effectively manipulate said events to his advantage, as he was able to anticipate the Guardians going to Knowhere to retrieve the Reality Stone and arrived there before they could prevent him from taking it. Thanos even went as far as to set up a brilliant trap for the Guardians by casting an illusion to fool them into believing that he is still torturing the Collector for the Reality Stone while in actuality he had acquired the Reality Stone long before they arrived, all the while easily manipulating Gamora using illusions specifically seen in her mind to lure her into emotionally charging at Thanos, which worked to a great effect, catching Gamora and the Guardians completely off-guard and allowing Thanos to successfully capture Gamora and escape from the Guardians uninjured. Thanos can create effective strategies even in the midst of combat, as he used the great gravitational pull of Titan to great effect by crushing the planet's moon into pieces and then tearing it apart, causing it to fall down at such a rapid and fast rate as to force Spider-Man to focus solely on saving the unconcincious Guardians. He can also Quickly create effective plans to think his way out of most deblitating setbacks, as after Scarlet Witch destroyed the Mind Stone, rather than panicking, Thanos calmly and strategically recalled that he can use the Time Stone to recreate it and Vision, which he did successfully, thus rendering Wanda's sacrifice of Vision in van and allowing him to finally complete the Gauntlet. Even after being severely wounded by Thor, Thanos calmly came up with an unorthodox plan to outsmart the Asgardian King by feigning he was dying before revealing he wil survive, succesfully catching Thor effectively completely off-guard and taking advantage of Thor's brief confidence he is too weak to allow him to finally complete his goal by snapping his fingers.
- Master Combatant: Thanos is a pheneomonally accomplished hand-to-hand combat with millennia worth of fighting experience, making him quite possibly the most powerful warrior in the universe combined with his collosal physical powers. Hence, when he attacked the Statesman, Thanos personally engaged and easily defeated and severely beat Thor at full power, who was the greatest Asgardian warrior currently alive and also effortlessly and methodically defeated Hulk, the former undefeatable champion of the Contest of Champions, in seconds. He also used his brawling skills to a great effect when he battled the heroes on Titan, in which he easily fought off and soon overwhelmed both Drax and Doctor Strange while his sight was hampered by a web cotton, swiftly pummeled Spider-Man while only having the use of one hand and quite easily pummeled Iron Man in his Mark L Armor and severely injured him and would have killed him had Strange not interfered. When he fought the heroes on Wakanda, Thanos effortlessly countered a full-charge from Black Panther with a single hand and effortlessly defeated and knocked out Captain America with a single punch despite both being world-class fighters on their own right. It was only because Thor was armed with Stormbreaker and had the element of surprise that he managed to wound Thanos.
- In the comics, Thanos was a member of the Eternals, a race of superpowered beings that descended from a caste of humans genetically enhanced by the Celestials. Thanos himself was the son of Mentor, the leader of an Eternal colony on Saturn's moon of Titan. Much of Thanos' villainous motivations in the comics revolve around his romantic feelings for the entity Death. In the famous Infinity Gauntlet storyline, he became the master of the Infinity Gauntlet, which he used to murder most of the universe's inhabitants in an attempt Death. He has never displayed any relationships with Loki nor the Chitauri, but he is nevertheless one of the Avengers' most historical foes. When he took a break from being a conqueror, Thanos was entrusted with the Reality Gem of the Infinity Gems.
- The name "Thanos" is based on the name of the mythological Greek figure Template:WPS, meaning "death".
Behind the ScenesEdit
- Thanos' presence in The Avengers was kept top secret until the release of the movie.
- Damion Poitier was credited as "Man 1" despite actually playing Thanos.
- Josh Brolin was uncredited for his appearances in Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers: Age of Ultron.
- Along with Bruce Banner, James Rhodes, Howard Stark and Fandral, Thanos is one of the few characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe played by different actors in different movies.
- It was Joss Whedon's idea to reveal Thanos as the true villain of The Avengers, but ironically he considered the villain too difficult to write.
- Thanos was the main villain in Nicole Perlman's draft of Guardians of the Galaxy: Whedon asked Thanos's role be downsized and Gunn agreed.
- Joss Whedon assisted James Gunn with the casting of Thanos.
- Josh Brolin took inspiration from Template:WPS's performance as Template:WPS in Template:WPS in his portrayal of Thanos.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Guardians of the Galaxy Prelude
- ↑ Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
- ↑ The Avengers
- ↑ The Avengers Mid-credits Scene
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Guardians of the Galaxy
- ↑ Avengers: Age of Ultron Mid-credits Scene
- ↑ How Avengers: Age of Ultron Nearly Killed Joss Whedon
- ↑ James Gunn on Twitter, 2 December 2015
- ↑ Guardians of the Galaxy press con in Singapore - James Gunn on GoTG and the MCU
- ↑ Josh Brolin Talks Thanos’ Love for Death, Future Appearances, Character Comparisons, and More